Saturday, January 21, 2012

Poached eggs and holliandaise. Otherwise known as things that scare me in the kitchen.

So today I made them both. And guess what? They were both super easy. I made the hollandaise in the blender, and if that's okay with Julia Child and Pioneer Woman, it's okay with me. Egg yolks go in the blender with a bit of salt and pepper, melt the butter on the stove and then drip it into the blender while it's blending, add a bit of lemon juice and cayenne pepper and done. Delicious. I used a bit too much lemon and cayenne the first time around and it separated a bit after I put it on the plate, but now I know for next time.

As for the poached eggs, I dug out these fantastic vintage egg cups of my mom's from the seventies. I sprayed 'em with olive oil, cracked the eggs in, put them in a saucepan of boiling water, covered it with a lid, and in about four minutes, I had perfectly poached eggs.

I poured the sauce over roasted potatoes, bacon and brussels sprouts and then topped it all with the eggs. So good.

Here is the recipe from the Pioneer Woman's website for the hollandaise. It will blow your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment